James and Joanna Tokley papers
Scope and Contents
This collection provides a general overview of E. James Tokley's and Joanna Tokley's numerous accomplishments and professional and personal activities. Original poetry and stories, programs, speeches, awards and photographs are included, as well as reports and other business-related files from the Tampa Urban League.
- Created: 1920 - 2010
- Other: 2011-10
- Tokley, E. James (Eugene James) (Person)
Conditions Governing Use
None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/ for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
Poet and educator James Tokley is best known as the first poet laureate of Hillsborough County and the national poet laureate of the Urgan League. He has created recordings of his work and has appeared with the Florida orchestra. Joanna Tokley served as longtime president of the Urban League of Hillsborough County. Together, the Tokleys run a consulting company that trains human resources personnel.
9.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection documents the personal and professional lives of E. James Tokley and Joanna Tokley and includes original poetry written by James Tokley, photographs, and documents related to Joanna Tokley's work with the Urban League of Hillsborough County.
Arranged by series: E. James Tokley Personal Materials, Joanna Tokley Personal Materials, and Urban League Business Records. Individual series are arranged according to subject and format.
Source of Acquisition
James Tokley and Joanna Tokley
Method of Acquisition
- African Americans -- Florida -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Usfspeccol
- African Americans -- Florida -- Tampa -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tampa (Fla.) -- Race relations. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tampa Urban League Subject Source: Local sources
- Tampa Urban League (Tampa, Fla.)
- Tokley, E. James (Eugene James)
- James and Joanna Tokley papers
- KA & AH
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description