Harold Nathaniel Reddick papers
Scope and Contents
This collection documents Harold Nathaniel Reddick’s involvement in the civil rights movement, the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) Tampa, and the local chapter of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters Union.
- Created: 1955-1991
- Other: Majority of material found in 1982-1991
- Other: Date acquired: 02/00/1995
Conditions Governing Use
None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
Harold Nathaniel Reddick (1913-2003), a native of Jacksonville, Florida, worked as a porter for the Pullman Sleeping Car Company and was involved in the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters (BSCP) labor union for over 30 years. In 1939, Reddick moved to Tampa, Florida. Reddick served as vice-president of the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) Tampa in the mid-1940s. Reddick’s involvement helped steer the NAACP Tampa on a path that would serve as a model throughout the following decade. Harold Reddick died on December 24, 2003.
0.21 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The papers of civil rights leader Harold Nathaniel Reddick includes awards, correspondence, newspaper articles, interviews, and documents.
Source of Acquisition
Dr. Jack Moore, Department of American Studies, University of South Florida
Method of Acquisition
Other Descriptive Information
- African Americans -- Civil Rights -- Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Florida -- Tampa Subject Source: Usfspeccol
- Civil rights movements -- Florida -- Tampa -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People—Florida—Tampa—History—20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads--United States--Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reddick, Harold Nathaniel
- Harold Nathaniel Reddick papers
- Adams, K., 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2021: TT