Al Davis papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes newspaper clippings, correspondence, drafts and final versions of legal documents, and personal notes. One area of focus regards the redistricting of Tampa, FL and how it related to the Voting Rights Act of 1965, as well as African American participation in the voting process.
- Created: 1960 - 2011
- Other: Date acquired: 08/01/2016
- Davis, Al (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/ for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
Albert "Al" Davis was born in North Carolina in 1931. He enlisted in the United States Air Force in 1949, where he served as a logician. He retired in 1975 in Tampa, FL. Davis attended the University of South Florida, earning a double BA in Political Science and Religious Studies. Much of Davis' deepest involvement was with the local chapters of the Natinal Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which led to his position on the City of Tampa Bi-Racial Advisory Committee, which supervised and advised the Hillsborough County (FL) School Board on desegregation issues. Davis continued working with the school board outside of the Bi-Racial Advisory Committee until the 2000s.
23.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
These papers are from Al Davis, a local education and voting rights activist. Included are court and legal documents, minutes from the various organizations he was a part of, and his own personal collection of notes as member in these organization.
Arranged by topic.
Source of Acquisition
Albert "Al" Davis
Method of Acquisition
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Florida -- Tampa -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans -- Florida -- Social Conditions -- 20th Century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil rights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hillsborough County (Fla.) -- Politics and government. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People—Florida—Tampa—History—20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political Subject Source: Local sources
- Tampa (Fla.) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Al Davis papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description