L'Unione Italiana records
No requestable containers
Scope and Contents
This collection primarily consists of organizational documents and publications. Also includes photographs, club histories, contracts, circulars, and the society’s ledgers which record the names of members and dues records.
- Created: 1902-1989
- L'Unione Italiana (Tampa, Fla.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
Most commonly referred to as the “Tampa Italian Club,” L’Unione Societa Italiana di Mutue Socorrose (the Italian Mutual Benefit Society of Tampa) was founded April 4, 1894 under the direction of first club president A.B. “Bartolo” Filogamo. Created as a mutual aid society for Italian immigrants, L’Unione Italiana was established to provide member assistance during periods of sickness, to offer financial assistance to families of deceased members, and to provide lectures, night school and other educational means of auxiliary studies. At its inception, 127 Tampa residents- mostly Italian immigrants from Sicily’s Agrigento Province - established membership. During the organization’s 1902-1905 administration, the name was changed officially to L’Unione Italiana. In 1935, the club merged with rival organization La Societa Sicilia, during which time membership peaked significantly. Although not currently at the heights reached during that time, the organization has seen steady rates of membership throughout its history. Prominent members of the society have included Tony Pizzo and Pietro Rittini. Today, the club focuses on preserving Italian culture, the Italian language, their historic building and cantina, and L’Unione Italiana cemetery. Present day members do not need to be of Italian ancestry but must have an interest in the preservation and education of Italian culture.
The original L’Unione Italiana clubhouse in Ybor City was destroyed by fire in 1914. Less than five years later, a new building was erected at 1731 East Seventh Avenue. The rebuilt clubhouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Ackerman, Sherri. “Taking Grave Security Steps.” TampaTribune (29 July 2002): 1.
Ackerman, Sherri. “Traditions Live On.” TampaTribune (6 July 2002): 1.
“Ceremony Set at Club Italia: Remodeled Building will be Dedicated Tomorrow Night with Dance.” TampaDaily Times (18 Sept 1936).
Clary, Susan. “L’Unione Italiana Marks 100 Years.” St. PetersburgTimes (31 March 1994): 4B.
Hawes, Leland. “Italian Imprint.” TampaTribune (4 April 2004): 10 Baylife
“Italian Club.” TampaDaily Times (22 August 1894): 8.
Samek, Robert. “Italian Club is Feuding; Club Ex-president is Caught in Middle.” St. PetersburgTimes (27 Jun 1989): 1.
“L’Unione Italiano Served Tampa Italians for 28 Years.” TampaDaily Times (19 December 1922): 8B.
Woodward, Edward. “History in the Remaking: The Italian Club will be Rededicated this Weekend on the Heels of a Major Renovation.” TampaTribune (23 September 1999).
Note written by unknown
21.00 Linear Feet
14 items (Legers)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
- L'Unione Italiana records
- tt, 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description