Edith "Edie" Daly / Women's Energy Bank collection
Scope and Contents
Materials related to the Women’s Energy Bank’s political and cultural activities in war resistance, gay and lesbian rights, environmental activism, and feminism. Items include periodicals, pamphlets, leaflets, manuals, publications, newspaper clippings, programs, and personal correspondence.
- Created: 1973-2014
- Other: Majority of material found in 1990-1998
- Other: Date acquired: 2006
- Daly, Edith (1937-) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/ for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
In 1974, Edith “Edie” Daly “came out” as both an activist and lesbian. In 1981, she returned to her home state of Florida where she opened a women’s bookstore on Madeira Beach. Within a year, she co-founded the lesbian, feminist organization Women’s Energy Bank (WEB), which hosts monthly meetings (“Salons”) for its female membership and produces the monthly publication Womyn’s Words. As a member of a number of activist organizations, including Old Lesbians Organizing for Change (OLOC), Southerners on New Ground (SONG), and Women in Black, Daly’s work towards world peace has taken her to Europe, Asia, and beyond. Edie Daly currently serves on the University of South Florida’s Women’s Studies Advisory Board. She and her partner, Jackie Mirkin, continue to live and work for peace and justice in Gulfport, Florida and around the world.
Note written by CBW
10.64 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Organized alphabetically within series and subjects.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Womyn's Words (newsletters) Michigan Womyn's Music Festival (programs)
- Gay and lesbian studies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lesbian activists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lesbian feminist theory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tampa (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women's studies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Edith "Edie" Daly / Women's Energy Bank collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description