Skip to main content

Goody Goody restaurant records

 Collection
Identifier: G21

  • Staff Only

Scope and Contents

Business records of Stayers & Company and the Goody Goody Sandwich shop.  Also includes certificate of incorporation, ledgers, check stubs, and transaction records.  As a whole, the collection covers 1929 to roughly 1950, but the transaction records span from 1934 to 1946.

Dates

  • Created: 1930-1946

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

None.  The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright.  Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/for more information.

Biographical or Historical Information

Ralph Stephens founded the original Goody Goody Sandwich Shop in 1925. Sarah Stayers, Carl Stayers, and his wife bought the Goody Goody Sandwich Shop in 1929 and moved the restaurant from Grand Central (Kennedy Blvd.) to Florida Avenue in 1930. One of several drive-in restaurants in Tampa at the time, it is one of the oldest in the world and served as a community hangout for decades. Goody’s heyday (and that of drive-in restaurants in general) spanned the 1940s to the 1960s.

Note written by Joe Tamargo, 2011

Extent

6.94 Linear Feet

6 boxes

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement Note

Chronological

Title
Goody Goody restaurant records
Author
Joe Tamargo, 2011
Date
03/03/2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the USF Libraries - Special Collections Repository

Contact:
4202 East Fowler Ave.
LIB122
Tampa FL 33620-5400 US
813-974-2731