Equality Florida records
Scope and Contents
This collection of records is primarily comprised of documents relating to the day-to-day operations of Equality Florida, formerly known as the Human Rights Task Force, as well as documents regarding projects conducted by Equality Florida. Also in the collection are research articles on a variety of topics related to the LGBT community, including the several Human Rights Ordinances put forth in the Tampa Bay area, Youth Lobby Days, the 1999 LGBT Rights Rally held in Tallahasee, Safe Schools Summits and Equality Florida's work on the SAVE Dade project. The collection also contains miscellaneous documents such as news articles dealing with Equality Florida's many projects and press releases, photographs, scrapbooks, and audio/visual materials.
- Created: 1994 - 2008
- Other: Date acquired: 00/00/2012
- Equality Florida (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The contents of the collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/ for further information.
Biographical or Historical Information
Equality Florida is the largest civil rights organization dedicated to securing full equality for Florida's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LBGT) community. Utilizing lobbying, grassroots organizing, education and coalition building, Equality Florida is helping to change Florida to ensure that no one suffers harassment or discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. Equality Florida was formed in 1997 and has defeated every piece of anti-LBGT legislation filed in Tallahassee for 14 years in a row. Equality Florida consists of two organizations: Equality Florida, Inc., which focuses on advocating for and against new laws that impact lives of LBGT Floridians and mobilizing pro-equality voters; and Equality Florida Institute, Inc. which focuses on educating the public, elected officials, and businesses about issues of importance to the LGBT community.
Note written by Kevin Arms, 2013
13.72 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
A collection of documents concerning the work of Equality Florida, including projects, corporate documents and research.
The collection is arranged by material type: 1. Corporate Documents 2. Projects 3. Research 4. Audio/Visual Materials 5. Miscellaneous
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
- Florida -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gay and lesbian -- Tampa (Fla.) Subject Source: Usfspeccol
- Gay and lesbian studies -- Tampa (Fla.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Gay rights -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Homosexuality -- Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Homosexuality -- Laws and legislation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tampa (Fla.) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Equality Florida records
- Kevin Arms, 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description