No requestable containers
Scope and Contents
This collections consists of two series. Series one includes signed correspondence, signed photographs and programs, and miscellaneous autographs. Signatures are from notable politicians, performers, businessmen, and distinguished members of the armed forces. These item range from 1826-1950. Series two consists of autograph albums from the United States, 1835-1928. Known publishers of these albums include Leavitt and Allen, New York and J. C. Riker, New York.
- Created: 1826-1950
- Other: Acquired 1974
- University of South Florida (Organization)
Conditions Governing Use
None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
Autograph albums emerged from a mostly Dutch and German tradition during the 16th century. These books were exchanged amongst friends and acquaintances in order to collect signatures, personal messages, keepsakes, verses, and illustrations. European immigrants transmitted these books to America, wherein these albums experienced a height of popularity during the 19th century. The collection was donated by Dr. Ben Gatliff.
1.7 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Autograph Collection is a series of materials acquired and curated by the University of South Florida library, including correspondence, photographs, and assorted signatures.The second series in this collection consists of 49 personal autograph books from the United States, with two books written in the German language.
The autograph albums are arranged alphabetically by last name.
- Roosevelt, Theodore (1858-1919) (Person)
- Clemenceau, Georges (1841-1929) (Person)
- Rickenbacker, Eddie (1890-1973) (Person)
- Flagler, Henry Morrison (1830-1913) (Person)
- Joffre, Joseph Jacques Césaire (1852-1931) (Person)
- Freeman, Douglas Southall (1886-1953) (Person)
- Bacheller, Irving (1859-1950) (Person)
- Caldicott, Helen (Person)
- Rand, Sally (1904-1979) (Person)
- Bloxham, William Dunnington (1835-1911) (Person)
- Pepper, Claude (1900-1989) (Person)
- Reid, Robert Raymond (1789-1841) (Person)
- Moseley, William Dunn (1795-1863) (Person)
- Fleming, Francis P. (Francis Philip) (1841-1908) (Person)
- Autograph Collection
- Sydney Jordan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description