Audubon Florida's Coastal Islands Sanctuaries collection
No requestable containers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of weekly, monthly, and annual reports form wildlife sanctuaries, correspondence, warden reports, newspaper clippings, photographs, data logs, population statistics, ecological studies, and assorted reports.
- Created: 1918-1995
- Other: Majority of material found in 1944-1995
- Other: Date acquired: 00/00/2016
- Florida Audubon Society (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
The first Audubon Sanctuary in Tampa Bay was established in 1934 to stop the shooting and harvest of nesting herons and ibis at Green Key in Hillsborough Bay. As human population growth and development in the Tampa Bay area have expanded, the wildlife conservation concerns of the Sanctuaries staff have also broadened from the more direct goal of the protection of nesting colonies themselves, to reflect an ecosystem approach. Today, the scope and area of the Florida Coastal Islands Sanctuaries' activities are still increasing to meet the conservation needs of the state's colonial waterbirds.
Note written by Audubon Florida
2.66 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection consists of materials related to the Audubon Society’s Florida Coastal Island Sanctuaries, whose mission is the protection of the great colonial waterbird populations of the Florida coast, and the natural systems that support them. Materials in this collection include reports from wildlife wardens, Florida sanctuaries, Texas sanctuaries, Whiskey Stump, Green Island, Tavernier, and the Florida Keys. Logs and studies in this collection report on bird populations, landscape carrying capacity, environment, wildlife distribution, and other ecological concerns.
This collection is arranged topically and according to chronology.
Method of Acquisition
A large portion of this collection is currently out of the USF Libraries for digitization. The collection was shipped in March 2023. Please check that materials are present with the Operations Manager prior to requesting an appointment.
- Birds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Birds -- Habitat -- Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Coastal ecology Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservationists -- Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ecology -- Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Environmental protection Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Audubon Society
- National Audubon Society
- Audubon Florida's Coastal Island Sanctuary Collection
- Sydney Jordan, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description